Album #5

 

Album: The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society
Artist: The Kinks
Released: 1968
Label: Pye
Genre: Folk pop

This one was a unique album for me this early in the marathon. I've heard of the Kinks but never really listened. And yet this album felt like I'd been listening to it my whole life. The influences are there. This album wasn't just popped onto the 1001 list because it sold well; it was here because if inspirations leave fingerprints, this album left DNA samples, hair samples, fingerprints, and a signed affidavit of its influence.

Beyond the legacy it left through the remaining late 60s and through the 70s onward, musically this album made me nostalgic for a world I never lived in. It's decidedly English (apparently brought about by a blacklisting of performing in America around the time of the recording), but it made me yearn for a quiet country cottage and a simple life. A life that, as the title implies, may be in need of protecting or may even no longer exist. It's identified as an early concept album and I can see that coming through strongly. The titular song (and inspiration) for the album, "Village Green" paints a picture of simplicity, joy, and a country life, unified by a strong sonic cohesion in the first side of this album. Though all songs are credited to bandleader Ray Davies, though some digging shows he did loosen the reins to let in influence from the rest of the band. 

This could be an album that I'd put on my turntable and just, as the kids say, vibe to. There's nothing strongly in your face, screaming for you to repent or to live life like there's no tomorrow. Instead it's a warm blanket of familiar. Even if you've never been there in the first place. 

Rating: 4.2 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album #7

Album #3