Jumping In

 Reddit is a strange place. 

A recent Ask Reddit thread talked about apps you can't believe are free and one that came up was the "1001 Albums Generator" based on the reference book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, edited by Robert Dimery (compiling the most important, influential, and best music from the 1950s - 2010s). 

The app gives you 1 album per day, asking for a simple star rating out of five. Each day, a new album comes through at 3:00 GMT (if you don't listen, it keeps your last suggested and creates a sort of backlog). And it's free. 

An album a day. 

For 1001 albums. 

That's an album a day for 2.74 years (ignoring that 2024 is a leap year). 

I like to think of myself as fairly musically varied, listening to just about anything. Yes, even country. Though I personally loathe what country music has become (the pandering arena country that forgot its roots), so I figured what the hell, I'll jump in. Will I be able to listen to an album a day? Probably not consistently. But I'll work through all 1001 and give 'em a fair shake. 

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Matt, but my friends call me Doc. I'm a chemistry professor out in western Pennsylvania. I grew up on (what at the time was called) "classic rock" (Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, Queen, Alice Cooper... hell, I spent my 21st birthday at a Kansas concert). You get the idea. Though apparently, classic rock is now the music I listened to in high school (I swear, if you tell me My Chemical Romance is "classic rock", you're getting hit with a shoe). I enjoy doing theatre, Buffalo Bills football, Pittsburgh Pirates baseball, and Buffalo Sabres hockey. In my free time, I'm an avid tabletop roleplaying game enthusiast, mainly Dungeons & Dragons, Call of Cthulhu (DriveThruRPG link to published scenarios), and Kult: Divinity Lost. Wanna chat? Find me on Discord @drbones412. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album #7

Album #3

Album #5