Album #8

 


Album: No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
Artist: Motörhead
Released: 1991
Label: Bronze
Genre: Heavy metal 

Lemmy was a singer/bassist in his own respected tier. There's no question of that. The man was a powerhouse. However, this album, to me, was not. And that's not to say I don't enjoy Motörhead. I enjoy their thrashing guitar, overwhelming vocals, and high energy nature. But, as an album, this didn't do it for me. It was thumping, loud, and displayed incredible prowess. But like a succulent Chinese meal, it works best in small doses. Whenever possible, I try to listen to these albums in a single sitting or as close to as possible (sometimes I'll try to find a "break" between sides of the record to mimic a typical listening experience). This album required many breaks (though I avoid musical palate cleansers in between so as not to spoil my rating). 

As a live album, Motörhead proved that their musicianship is tighter than ever compared to other live albums I've heard. The precision required to pull off some of these songs is insane. I think that's what would save this album for me: the impressive performance. I personally can't sustain the high energy music for an extended period of time, though I don't hold that against Motörhead. This album showed foundational work for thrash metal, an incredible performance, and excellent production. 

According to some research, this apparently marked a "downfall" of Motörhead, owing to being unable to match this success. I would put this among the top live albums recorded, and I can see how it would be hard to meet again. To Lemmy, Philthy Animal, and Fast Eddie, you will be honored in the annals of live album, even if it did give me a bit of a headache after a while. 

Rating: 3.1 stars 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album #7

Album #3

Album #5