Album #10


 

Album: Let England Shake
Artist: PJ Harvey
Released: 2011
Label: Island, Vagrant
Genre: Folk

Ooo a more contemporary album! I'm not sure when the cutoff was set for the 1001 Albums book, but I'd bet this was a buzzer beater. And I'm glad it made the list, because it speaks of a message that's more relevant today than it may have been 10 years ago. 

Harvey's lyricism and musicianship are on full display in this album. I was a bit worried that it would be a bit flat with the remarkably similar songs to kick off the track listing. But then "On Battleship Hill" hit and I realized that the similarity was by design to make you pay attention to the songs. The entire album provides an unflinching look at war and bloodshed pursuant to one's homeland without letting up. I suspect that "The Words that Maketh Murder" will make its way onto a playlist about rebellion and political activism.

Let England Shake is a sonically crisp album that honestly reminded me a bit of Anais Mitchell (of Hadestown fame- I actually had to check the dates for the original LP by Mitchell and this album). The folk sound does a strong job of creating warmth while chilling the listener with words. Harvey's work is haunting in a way that I wasn't expecting. Truly, let England shake. It's their own fault. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album #7

Album #3

Album #5