Album #2



Album: All Mod Cons
Artist: The Jam
Released: 1978
Label: Polydor Records
Genre: Punk rock/mod revival

This album oozes the mod counterculture of the 70s. It's not one that I expected to listen to personally, hell, I didn't even know about the Jam. But after this album, I'll happily sing the praises of Paul Weller's poetry in music. I went into this album just listening for the music itself, and on first blush missed a lot of the social commentary and biting cynicism. My one gripe is that it's easy to miss the lyrics, getting lost in the music itself. The high energy new wave sounds draw attention away from the lyrics (which says a lot that the clever lyrics can be overshadowed by the music itself).

Look at the track "Mr. Clean", taking a swing at working class issues or "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" (which was almost omitted from the album itself!). If you put this album on and don't immediately go "Oh this is the late 70s!", what rock have you been living under? 

The track that sold me on this album was the cover of the Kinks' "David Watts". After finishing this album, I went back to the original and damn do I prefer the edgier cover presented here. The punk sound lends itself well to the composition. Then again, I've been a fan of Elvis Costello and the Attractions since I was a kid. 

Overall, I didn't know what to expect from this album. Wasn't familiar with the Jam, but they'll make their way into my rotation after this one. This album had all the modern conveniences (wink). I wonder if my old record shop has some vinyl of them laying around... 

Rating: 3.75 stars 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album #7

Album #3

Album #5